GAMING CHIEF LEARNING AFTER "HORRIFYING TIME" IN VEGAS
By Colin A. Young
STATE HOUSE NEWS SERVICE
STATE HOUSE, BOSTON, OCT. 12, 2017.....In the wake of the mass shooting that left 58 dead in Las Vegas last week, the Massachusetts Gaming Commission began talking to regulators in other states about what casinos can do to prevent or respond to shootings and terrorist attacks.
At least three of the state's top gaming regulators were in Las Vegas for an industry conference that began the morning after the Oct. 1 mass shooting and said at Thursday's commission meeting that casino safety was at the forefront of everyone's mind.
"As a commission, we need to be cognizant of public safety issues, which we are, and as with any major public safety incident, we will be attentive to the after-action plans and lessons learned," Gaming Commission Executive Director Edward Bedrosian said. "As part of the conference and meeting with other regulators, we were able to actually start some of those best practice conversations with other regulators around things like active shooter exercises specific to casinos."
Already a subscriber? Login to continue reading...
Get the Rest of the Story!
State House News Service subscribers include media outlets, corporations, non-profits and law offices of every size. You may request a free 21-day trial of the News Service for your company by submitting the form below.
If you are already a subscriber and need access to SHNS, please send an email to email@example.com or call 617-722-2439.
Note to political campaigns: We do not accept trial requests from campaigns from June 24 through Election Day. However, we would be happy to start a pre-paid subscription for your campaign (except for constitutional offices, congressional offices and statewide campaigns) at a deeply-discounted rate of $22/week, paid through the election. Simply email Virginia Cummings to set up this subscription; she'll send you further instructions.